Customers at Emblehope had an amazing session making their own bread buns from scratch. It was a truly wonderful experience watching everyone participating and enjoying this new activity.
Emblehope customer, Sue, learned a new skill during lockdown. She learned how to make her own bread buns from scratch, supported by Janice. Here is her step-by-step guide for anyone else who may wish to make their own buns:
- Wash your hands ready for the activity.
- Put your apron on.
- Weigh the flour (500 ml) and place it in a large glass bowl.
- Add a packet of dried yeast, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar to the mix and stir.
- Add 320 ml of water and 3 tablespoons of cooking oil and mix in thoroughly.
- Cover the top of the bowl with clingfilm and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Clean all the benches thoroughly so they are ready for others to use.
Then Sue was joined at the table by her fellow customers and they all:
– Had bread dough and flour provided for them to kneed.
– Formed the dough into sub-shaped buns and placed them on a baking tray.
– The tray was covered with clingfilm and left to rise for another 30 minutes.
– The buns were placed into the pre-heated oven (180oC) supported by Janice.
– The cooked buns were taken out of the oven after 15-20 minutes and left to cool.
All the participants were delighted with their first attempt at making bread buns and they used them for lunch with hot dogs and onions. The fact that they’d made the buns themselves made them taste even better. Next time, using the same dough, everyone will be making their own pizza and using an assortment of toppings to make each one of them truly unique.